Sunday, February 3, 2008

When You See There Will Be Blood there probably will be some thinking afterwards



Last Friday I went to see There Will Be Blood with Emily. There's a lot in that movie and Daniel Day Lewis (whose other movies I couldn't name but as someone in the elevator said, his name in the credits sounds important) does an excellent performance. I'm sure reviews will analyze the darkness and complexity of the movie but it's a little too rich in both of those for me to write about currently. Hopefully Ben (JadedHack) will post a proper review. What I will say though is that besides Lewis's mastery of his craft, the movie really does reveal the intricacy of people. Nobody is completely, or even largely, good regardless of the situation. That's true in life of course but few films today really acknowledge that.
The other thing I really liked about the movie was the early twentieth century landscape. There's something really amazing about the flat western lands and new frontier aspect of industrial America It's romantic in a way.

2 comments:

Fahlkajdl said...

I really want to see that movie! your review makes it much more intriguing. I'll have to find someone to go see it with.

Daniel said...

You would love it. Trust me, it's your kind of film.