Monday, February 11, 2008

Good Will hunting

A new collection of movies are about to hit the screen. In my opinion there are certain attributes a good movie has. This does not include a compelling trailer. Some of the best movies had mediocre or horrible trailers. The explanation is that a film's essence is hard to capture in two minutes or less. Actors also are an indication of a movie's fineness. Has the star acted in good movies in the past? Are the supporting actors good at what they do? Do either the star or supporting cast act in a range of movies?
Both these rules have exceptions, sometimes. First is Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins which follows my statements to the letter. Two minutes and thirty seconds of this movie is two minutes and thirty seconds too much:



And then there's Hancock, with Will Smith -one of the few mainstream actors I respect. Even though I Am Legend was good but not great, I thought his acting was phenomenal and displayed a range which had, until that movie, gone untapped.



Both trailers may be wrong but I doubt it, especially for Roscoe Jenkins. One question bugs me about this movie though. Why is the honorable James Earl Jones acting along side the rest of the halfwit cast of that movie? Ben suggested that someone is holding his family and loved ones hostage, which is the only plausible explanation I can think of.

No comments: