Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Playboy Beat



On a personal note:

In today's Michigan Daily, there's a story about Playboy Magazine scouts coming to campus. Originally, I was assigned to write the story. I was more than a little willing to bear such a grim burden but the editors decided that a male reporter covering the event would probably bias him. On top of that I'm single, so arguably that would further work against my objectivity. In the end a female writer got the story. Was this sexist? Yes. Was this the correct journalistic call? I think so. Still though, it sounded like fun...

5 comments:

JadedHack said...

Wouldn't a female possibly be equally biased in the other direction?

Aaron said...

Sounds like bulshit to me. They let Americans report on Iraqis, white people report on black people, they even let Jews report on the Middle East--but a guy can't report on girls getting naked for Playboy? And I agree with Ben that a female would be at least as biased.

In any event you missed out on a sweet journalism assignment.

Daniel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel said...

Good points
re: missed out on a sweet journalism assignment

no shit.

JadedHack said...

If their rationale had been they don't want Daniel Strauss, not just any man, to report on hot women, then I could understand.