Wednesday, March 28, 2007

After, In The Dark

Of interest to the editor:

Curse all who play a practical joke in April. Not because those jokes are inappropriate -although they can be-, not because they are vulgar -although they can be that too-, or because they are cliched -although...well you get the idea. It's because April is really a month for sweating, stressing, and hoping. High school seniors hug their mailboxes praying for that which is most coveted during those four years: the acceptance letter. You'd think that hellish final April of high school would be the end of anticipatory stress in April. Alas, no.
Not-totally-to-my-surprise, my fellow collegians are stressing about summer internships, and where they will be in three months. Regrettably, I'm among them. I do know what I'm doing this summer but I'm still running to the mailbox and checking my messages like my high school or college friends. 12 months from now I could be in Paris or at home for all my divining powers can predict. To top it off, the end is in sight for the academic year, this means final tests and papers.
Sometime in history did a bunch of students come together and, to spite future generations of scholars and youth, beg the higher powers to choose a month and schedule all the pressure makers in those 30 days? These are the days that decide location and happiness for a larger amount of time. It's no surprise that we're all grinding our teeth, squeezing whatever is in our hands, and whispering prayers to the higher powers to get our wish.
The only good part about this is that everyone is praying for a certain residence hall, school, summer job or internship, or college. You aren't alone! Lets all cross our fingers and pray for the best. Goodluck to you all, I hope we don't need luck but a little of it always helps.

Daniel